Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Awesome

Russet leaves, some red and gold, a smile, a sigh, nature's show.

We looked for the moon but couldn't find it here in the Northwest.  We wanted to see the eclipse but had to be satisfied with pictures.   A huge moon passing between the sun and earth another nature's show.

It is called a fly catcher, such a name for a beautiful bird, but we all have our jobs to do.  

As the last of September says goodbye, October comes along with more colors of Fall, a snap to the air and soon Halloween will be here .   Mike and Mari are all ready In Virginia.  Wonder if that witch is guarding a  pumpkin filled with goodies.  Talk about spirit;  these two are full of it....good job.
 
The very last day of September, the month flew by  and set the pace for Fall.   Each day was different in changing from hot to cold , then cold to hot, sweater weather or pneumonia weather as the old folks would say. For goodness sake, you heard me groan and moan over the weather as if you could change it to behave.   Vacation time over, Sheila is home and smiling.   She is going to tell all about her trip and relive her experiences, her welcomes and goodbyes as she greets her three cats who wondered if she was ever coming home.   She called to say she would like to take me out to breakfast this morning and tell me about her trip.   We followed it on Facebook and now we will hear the details and enjoy a trip through Canada and a small part of the East Coast.   If I had known in advance she was going anywhere near a Jewish bakery I would have asked for a loaf of real pumpernickel bread as only made on the East Coast.    I have tried it here but it is not true pumpernickel, just in looks but not in taste.  Years ago, when a friend of mine heard I was moving back East, the first thing he asked me to do was to be sure I mailed back a loaf of pumpernickel bread, and I did.   I wonder if they have good Jewish bakeries in Delaware;  if so, I will tell son John I'd like a loaf of pumpernickel for my Christmas present.  Good idea!! My taste buds are at the ready!!
 
Here at Ridgemont it is quiet.   I had not been up to lunch for a couple of days as I 'had other fish to fry' as the old expression goes.   Virginia, 'Ginny' was happy to see me and said she missed me.   Good to hear and hopefully she had someone sit with her.  She is so quiet that she doesn't give off an inviting aura and that is sad because she really is a beautiful lady inside and out.   I was delighted to hear that she was once a fourth grade school teacher.  I also found out she has two daughters but not close by.  She traveled a lot and has a lot of tales to tell, but is wrapped up in the cloak of her religion and is content to live quietly.  She is joining in the conversation more and that is a good thing.    Meanwhile, Vinnie showed up, he tends to  hibernates every now and then, but he was there and I was not.  We read for about an hour and caught up with our story.   I must have been missed as I got a thank you; a handshake and a kiss on the cheek.  Um....I should go away more often.  There have been several of our folks missing this past week, not sure if they are off on vacation visiting family and friends or if they are just staying quietly in their rooms.   There is a kitchen in each unit so if one doesn't want to participate in the institution food they can fix something on their own.    The food has improved this month, so maybe that written group effort has had some effect.    One of our ladies is in the hospital as she cut her leg brushing by her walker.   I'll have to check and see how she is doing.   Then, one of our men, whose name I have yet to hear, left the lunch room early as he was having a bad day.  I understand he has cancer and some days are not easy to  survive.   It is sad as you want to have a magic cure.  
 
So, today when you stop to think about what kind of a day you want to have for yourself, give a thought to the elderly, wherever they may be, and know that they need blessings and good words , a card, a lunch out, a short visit, a phone call. . . some one thing that makes them feel alive and wanted.   Each one spent a lifetime working hard inside or outside of the home.   They gave much of themselves in living their seconds with caring and love  . . . it's payback time.   If your old timers have gone on through the 'Garden Gate' , then keep them in mind as you donate a little of 'you' and spread a tiny bit of cheer and love.   Hugs are great.    Smiles light up a room . . . as only YOU can.   Hugs to all.
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment