Thursday, August 6, 2015

Nuts

I know a few folks with huge libraries , some with a small library and most with a book or two hanging around to be read.  Now daughter Christine is a very extraordinary person but we already know that..  


Prayer Nuts . . .1500 Century Art.   Imagine making something this fantastic out of wood, not a nut, such talent, such beauty and at that time was a status symbol if you owned one.  Now special museum pieces.   They originated in the Dutch regions and some were scented with a variety of perfumes.   That must have made the ladies very happy. 

Talk about good deeds . . . A humanitarian group are over in Viet Nam removing old bombs from the land.

Hang tight, my coffee cup is empty and I am off for a refill. . . I'm back.....ah......I do make a good cup of coffee, according to me. . . some folks may not agree as it is a bit on the strong side.  I don't think so, but, a few do and have to lace it with a lot of milk and sugar.  I think that is a great way to spoil a cup of coffee but it really is up to each of us to find our drink of choice.   I was horrified when the price of a cup of coffee went from five cents a cup to a couple of dollars a cup;  but, not as expense as those lattes.   Do you know Starbucks gets almost six dollars a cup for their lattes?    That is outrageous, according to me.  Some of the restaurants are charging two dollars and fifty cents for a cup of coffee and of course a refill.  I just have water and when I get home I can fill my own cup with coffee that does not have a price tag on it once I pay for the tin of Columbia coffee which last for months.   And you thought I was going to gripe about the weather . . . I can't, as it has cooled down, at least it did yesterday.  

I visited Rose when I brought her a lunch tray.    She looked much better yesterday and was in much better spirits.   She had called in a lady masseuse who came with her table, set it up and did some soothing massage which helped Rose feel a lot better.    She even had her helper make some of her famous lemon pies and sent several up to the dining room for the folks to share.   They had not put the pie out while I was there but Rose assured me she would save me a piece of the pie she has in her refrigerator.   This lady used to make pies for her daughter's tea room for years and she really knows her stuff.  So that was good news for the Ridgemont group.  Meanwhile, Doris who is going on ninety-eight but you would swear she is much younger, is the cookie baking queen here.   The aroma in the hall way leads to her door and we often find a bag of cookies hanging on our door knob.  She makes breakfast cinnamon rolls that are delicious.      On the other hand, Vinnie didn't show again, as some kind of a cold bug has gotten to him.   I hope he stays put and doesn't pass it around.    Some folks here are very fragile.    With age comes a big difference as you go from Katrina the Great to feeble and fragile, and it can happen over night.    This reaching for one hundred is not an easy road to travel;  I suppose that is why so many do not make it.

So, when you think of your good deeds for today;  add a prayer for those who are traveling down that long, or short, road to the Garden Gate.   Some are in need of courage and stamina, others are in need of a smile and a hug.   Maybe you can take time out to visit someone you know who is in need of a little of your sunshine.    If you have time to spare and know someone that hasn't been out for a while, maybe you can spare an hour or two and take them for a ride, out to a lunch, or to your home for a visit away from the feeling of being institutionalized or just plain forgotten.     If they cannot go out, then you might think of donating an hour here and there and just visit.   We have one man who comes here at least twice a week and helps an old friend with little jobs that need doing.  He brings a flower from his garden and I found one at my door last week, a lovely blue hydranger (spelling?) in a deep blue vase.   Surprises are always special and quite a boost to ones morale.   So I am telling you from my experience hanging around with the old folks, that little things mean a lot . . . isn't there a tune about that. . .I think so.    Good deeds make your soul sing, get started and find out how good you feel.  Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment