Friday, January 2, 2015

sushi

What a way to celebrate the New Year.  A brand new small restaurant on our main street ,  cleverly decorated and a special sushi chef who knows his way around.   Yes, those are my fingers and I have yet to master the chop sticks.   I almost had it but had to use my fingers to get a decent bite.  The owner stopped to see how we liked our dishes and brought me some new sticks that are hinged together and worked great and even added a fork just in case.   the first dish ordered by Pat we used as a sample while we waited for our dish.  This is Erin's red something or other that was really good, but my sea and turf was eve better.   We are planning to return soon.

A beautiful seagull just resting between flights.    I bet it is watching the whales going bye.   We have quite a few showing themselves up at Harris Beach.   I hope to get up there before the week is out.

This was dubbed a 'red neck' fire alarm.  Can't   you see the popcorn spewing all over the place.


Angie's primroses.   Really lovely especially this time of year.   She really has a 'green' thumb.  

The new word on my calendar is 'lunette' something that has the shape of a crescent or half-moon.   Looking up at the sky today we had the shape of the moon .  Bet  it is bright and beautiful tonight.   It is cold and clear.  I should go take a peek but then I'd let in the cold and that wouldn't be fun.  The furnace has been a constant all this week;  oh that bill will soar.

I just found out that there are tales on the back side of the calendar page and there was an interesting excerpt about Sir Walter Scott using the word "warison", which had been around for 600 years, and it could also mean 'wealth or possessions" or reward".  In his 1805 poem, "The Lay of the Last Minstrel" he used the word to refer to a bugle call ordering the soldiers to attack.

As for today's word, there is some 17th century evidence of the word being used for a small celestial moon, but that meaning is now obsolete.  it used to be referred to a horseshoe having only the front semicircular part, a meaning that still exists but is quite rare.  It also refers to 'a blinder especially for a vicious horse' in French it means spectacles . . . I didn't know that!!!

I'll have to try and remember these new words and try them out on the scrabble games.   Hey there Bob and Andrea, you should have bought one of these calendars for you.   It is great and fun to boot.

A Lady of Words . . . a nice title . . . did I hear 'oh shut up'. . . well . . . guess I brag a little too much.  Okay, I' m off to do my good deed for the day and maybe a bit of grocery shopping;  all that food is gone. . . no more left overs.....thank God!!!  Go, have yourself a great day and get ready for a restful weekend...you deserve it.   Be good . . . and be nice . . . be wonderful and give yourself a breather . . . Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment