Thursday, December 17, 2015

Four A .M.

Mary Beth Sullivan Smith sitting at her brother's Thanksgiving day dinner is sitting in the left corner;  Paul is in the blue shirt and his two boys are on the right of the table along with three lovely ladies who enjoyed a terrific Thanksgiving Day dinner.    A few Sullivan members I haven't met.   It is nice to see the family resemblance , sure would love to meet them all. 

Some one has a sense of humor.  

Ha,ha, the expression on her face brings back a memory or two.   I have seen it once or twice in my lifetime.   sisters!!!

It isn't Monday but the picture was so cute.   I can see that this big fella is smart...lunch time!

I went off with Patricia to Fred Meyers store yesterday and got to walk the aisles for exercise and had a peek around to see what should go into my basket.    I miss having my own big kitchen and cooking.   I love to cook and bake.   I know, I groused and groaned about cooking in the 'old' days but I honestly love to putter around in the kitchen.    Here it sets the fire alarm off so I am a bit shy about making it go off.    Marie Calendar had their big pies on sale and the Razzle dazzle pie was the first item in my basket.   It is delicious with ice cream.....I had Christine store it in her refrigerator until we can get together and bake it up.  The next best thing to a home baked pie.    I found the store crowded with folks piling their baskets high with all kinds of goodies.    I think one man thought I was following him as we kept meeting in every aisle.   I didn't smile at him as he might have gotten the idea I was on the 'make'....on second thought I should have smiled, maybe he was on the make.

I miss the Christmas music, no carols to hum too.    No smiling faces, a lot of hurried people trying to get their baskets filled and out of there.    I would love to have the receipts of one day of Freddy's sales.  I'd be rich as Rockefeller.   This particular store is immense and a great place to exercise.   I managed quite a few aisles before I called it quits as Patricia was through with her shopping and out in the car waiting for me.    She never rushes me, takes her I Pod along and keeps herself entertained until I show up with my groceries.    She shops faster than I do and has no desire to 'walk' Freddie's. long aisles crowded with busy folks looking for bargains.  I am still trying to find my way around the store and have to follow the signs to find what I want.    They gave me a map but it is much more fun to go hunting for what I want.   
 
So today, get lost in your grocery store.   Take along a list of what you need, and another for what you want...and go hunt for the specials and fill up your basket.  don't forget to try the 'razzle dazzle' pie and invite a neighbor in to share it.   Be sure you have some vanilla ice cream to top it.  Sharing time with a neighbor is fun.  Speaking of neighbors, I had a telephone call from La Verne who tells me she misses me.   We had many day to day visits and conversation over the years.    She is making her Christmas fruit cakes and tells me she is soaking them in brandy and will soon mail me one.  She makes a terrific fruit cake and I always manage to eat one all by myself.  I feel sorry for those who do not like fruit cake as it really is delicious.   Hers are filled with brandy...maybe that is the reason they taste so good.  It was a fun call and made me a little bit homesick for Brookings and the old neighborhood.   
 
So, I am off to refill my coffee cup, watch a bit of news and find reasons to be alive this winter morning.   More rain predicted. . . it could be snow, so I wont gripe and groan.   Weather is weather and there is not much we can do about it but accept its wonders and enjoy it.    So put on your coat and hat, get out the gloves and go out the door.    Enjoy the day.    Stop and visit a friend or two;   bring a treat a long and have a tea break.     make someone smile and you will find yourself smiling right along with them.   Be good, be kind, be gentle, and don't forget to add some change to the red kettles.   Don't forget to get a name from the Christmas tree and buy a little gift for someone who needs one.    Be Santa for a day.   Hugs to all.
 
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment